Albert Mohler - The Briefing
Economics as a test of worldview and tax reform as either promise or peril
- Wall Street Journal (Siobahn Hughes, Kristina Hughes, and Richard Rubin) — Marco Rubio Throws a Wrench Into GOP Tax Bill
As Americans have their say about Christmas, we see the centrality of history to Christianity
- New York Times (Liam Stack) — Is Christmas a Religious Holiday? A Growing Number of Americans Say No
- Pew Research Center — Americans Say Religious Aspects of Christmas Are Declining in Public Life
Evangelical Christian world grieves the death of a titan
Why a Down syndrome diagnosis reveals the sanctity of human life, not just genetics
A moral revolution leads to a new government in Palm Springs, California
From LGBT to LGGBDTTTIQQAAPP: An expanding set of letters for the sexual revolution
- Daily Mail (Staff) — Canadian elementary school teachers attend 'LGGBDTTTIQQAAPP' inclusiveness training session. Would you understand the title?
Why religious activity is more revealing than religious identification
- Christianity Today (Brad Wilcox) — Evangelicals and Domestic Violence: Are Christian Men More Abusive?
A political earthquake in Alabama
- New York Times (Alexander Burns and Jonathan Martin) — Once a Long Shot, Democrat Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race
The limits of conservative tolerance on questions of character
Elections have consequences—in the Senate and in the womb
Secular attempts to resolve the sin problem with therapy
New investigation that threatens to tell the truth about Planned Parenthood
- New York Times (Nicholas Fandos) — Justice Dept. Investigating Fetal Tissue Transfers by Planned Parenthood and Others
A special election and a crisis of conscience in Alabama
- New York Times (Campbell Robertson and Jonathan Martin) — Alabama, Despite History of Unruly Politics, Has ‘Never Seen Anything Like This’
The crucible of political discourse and the mixed messages of political results
Abortion and a missed political opportunity
The urgency of fire as wildfires expand in California
The moral mayhem of last week in Congress
- WSJ (Editors) — Al Franken’s Non Sequitur
- WSJ (Peggy Noonan) — Al Franken Departs Without Grace
- New York Times (Gail Collins) — The Great Al Franken Moment
Our brave new world of political morality
- New York Times (Katie Rogers) — Trent Franks, Accused of Offering $5 Million to Aide for Surrogacy, Resigns
Why Christians should be deeply troubled by surrogate parenting
Very nature of New Testament as the Word of God at stake in Pope’s proposal to change the Lord’s prayer
- Washington Post (Julie Zauzmer and Stefano Pitrelli) — ‘Lead us not into’ what? Pope Francis suggests changing the words of the Lord’s Prayer.
- New York Times (Elisabetta Povoledo, Laurie Goodstein, and Alan Cowell) — Lost in Translation? Pope Ponders an Update to Lord’s Prayer
The combustible mix of scandal, moral relativism, and political expediency
- New York Times (Yamiche Alcindor) — John Conyers to Leave Congress Amid Harassment Claims
- New York Times (Sheryl Gay Stolberg) — As Harassment Accusations Multiply, a Question: Who Stays and Who Goes?
A new big question in Congress: Who leaves and who stays?
- New York Times (Nellie Bowles) — As Harassment Accusations Multiply, a Question: Who Stays and Who Goes?
The odd but interesting timing of Vladimir Putin’s re-election announcement
- Washington Post (David Filipov and Andrew Roth) — Vladimir Putin says he’ll run for reelection. Nobody is surprised.
Raising big questions about shame and guilt while raising children
The significance of the U.S. recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Washington Post (David Nakamura) — Trump recognizes Jerusalem as capital of Israel in reversal of longtime U.S. policy
How the marriage revolution in Austria reveals the comprehensive confusion of the sexual revolution
If religious liberty is for everyone, that would actually include Christians
Will Justice Anthony Kennedy in 2018 agree with Justice Anthony Kennedy in 2015?
- Washington Post (Robert Barnes Ann Marimow) — Supreme Court seems divided in case of baker who refused to create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple
- New York Times (Adam Liptak) — Justices Sharply Divided in Wedding Cake Case
What Facebook targeting children age 13 and under means for kids and their parents
- New York Times (Mike Isaac and Natasha Singer) — New Facebook App for Children Ignites Debate Among Families
A morality tale for our times as Russia is banned from the 2018 Winter Olympics
- New York Times (Rebecca Ruiz and Tariq Panja) — Russia Banned from Winter Olympics by I.O.C.
- New York Times (Christopher Clarey) — Russian Doping: The Case for Barring Russia Entirely
Stakes are high as Supreme Court hears oral arguments in Masterpiece Cakeshop case
- AP (Kaitlyn Schallhorn) — Supreme Court to decide Colorado gay wedding cake case: A timeline of events
- Washington Post (George Will) — A cake is food, not speech. But why bully the baker?
Media coverage of Masterpiece case insists what case is not about
- New York Times (Editors) — Their Cake Was Not a First Amendment Issue
- New York Times (Steve Sanders) — Even the Bernini of Buttercream Has to Serve Gay Couples
- New York Times (John Corvino) — Drawing a Line in the ‘Gay Wedding Cake’ Case
- New York Times (Jennifer Finney Boylan) — The Masterpiece Cakeshop Case Is Not About Religious Freedom
A new right not found in the text of the Constitution and two rights that are
Debate among biologists about animals and morality goes right down to mollusks
Ireland’s turn to the left and the moral dimension of secularization
Australian state turns to euthanasia amid the shifting ground of medical authority
As millennials look to horoscopes, belief vacuum at modern embrace of occult is revealed
- MarketWatch (Kari Paul) — Why millennials are ditching religion for witchcraft and astrology
- New York Times (Alexandra Levine) — Leaning on the Stars to Make Sense of the World
Religious liberty in Australia is sacrificed on the altar of the sexual revolution
- The Australian (Simon Benson and Dennis Shanahan) — Liberal fury as freedom laws denied in same-sex marriage bill
- BBC — Australia same-sex marriage bill passes Senate hurdle
- Stephen Mcalpine — While You Were Sleeping
Mississippi courts asked to deny the most basic facts of biology
Why America is in danger of becoming one giant casino
- Washington Post (Robert Barnes) — Will Supreme Court open a ‘dam burst’ of legalized sports betting?
- USA Today (Josh Peter) — Why ban on sports betting is close to being overturned
- New York Times (Joe Drape) — Among Bettors, College Football Is Shoving the N.F.L. Aside
The rise of abortion doulas: If you have to say 'normal, normal, normal,' whatever you're talking about is almost surely not 'normal'
- Washington Post (Monica Hesse) — The long five minutes: Abortion doulas bring comfort during a complicated time
Preschool near Washington D.C. accused of being un-Christian because it intends to teach Christianity
Worldview conflict in the toy aisle: Barbie becomes an ambassador for same-sex marriage
- The Guardian (Anna Livsey) — Barbie comes out in support of same-sex marriage
- New York Times (Sarah Kershaw) — Ruth Handler, Whose Barbie Gave Dolls Curves, Dies at 85
Rogue state that poses a new threat as North Korea tests new ICBM
- Washington Post (Anna Fifield) — North Korea’s latest missile launch appears to put Washington, D.C., in range
- New York Times (Choe Sang-Hun and Motoko Rich) — North Korea Fires a Ballistic Missile, in a Further Challenge to Trump
Courageous North Korean defector doesn’t leave the country alone
Secularism’s lack of resilience on display in new Pew study
Death of romance in the age of sexual liberty, both in China and the United States
- New York Times (Sui-Lee Wee) — In China, an Education in Dating
- NPR (Tovia Smith) — Lessons In Love For Generation Snapchat
Why a change in worship requires a change in theology
The Church of Sweden revises its references to God
- Telegraph (Foreign Staff) — Church of Sweden to stop clergy calling God 'he' or 'the Lord' in bid to crack down on gendered language
France allows a statue to the Pope, so long as the Pope isn’t holding the cross
- Telegraph (Henry Samuel and Matthew Day) — France and Poland clash over court ruling to remove cross from late Pope John Paul II statue
How a marriage announcement about the British royal family reveals the entire sequence of the sexual revolution
- Religion News Service (Catherine Pepinster) — Prince Harry will marry a divorced American — and the church is fine with it
Theology roars back into the headlines after mosque attack in Egypt
- Washington Post (Amanda Erickson) — Why Muslim extremists attacked this mosque in Egypt
- New York Times (Rukmini Callimachi) — To the World, They Are Muslims. To ISIS, Sufis Are Heretics.
Flawed justice in genocide conviction of Ratko Mladic
- New York Times (Marlise Simons, Alan Cowell, and Barbara Surk) — Mladic Conviction Closes Dark Chapter in Europe, but New Era of Uncertainty Looms
- Wall Street Journal (Drew Hinshaw and Lawrence Norman) — Bosnian Serb Commander Ratko Mladic Sentenced to Life Imprisonment for War Crimes, Genocide
- New York Times (Janine di Giovanni) — Flawed Justice for the Butcher of Bosnia
Why Robert Mugabe is but one in a long line of the left’s tyrannical heroes
- New York Times (Bret Stephens) — Mugabe and Other Leftist Heroes
- The Economist — The man who ruined a country: How Robert Mugabe held on to power for so long
How the New York Times wants to secularize Thanksgiving
The intellectual insecurity of evolutionary establishment
Why a sane tax code gives credits for babies but not for puppies
Gratitude as fundamental to Christian faithfulness and also as a powerful apologetic
Charles Manson and the moral compulsions of the 1960s
How the Summer of Love became the horror of Helter Skelter
The temptation to hypocrisy on both the left and the right
- Washington Post (Kate Harding) — I’m a feminist. I study rape culture. And I don’t want Al Franken to resign.
Clarifying reality while confusing marriage inevitably leads to chaos
Who decides if a judge is well-qualified? Politicization of ABA exposed in recent evaluation of judicial nominee
- Wall Street Journal (Joe Palazzolo) — GOP and Bar Association Tangle Over Judicial Nominees
- Wall Street Journal (William McGurn) — The ABA Jumps the Shark
Can you separate the art from the artist?
- New York Times (Amanda Hess) — How the Myth of the Artistic Genius Excuses the Abuse of Women
- New York Times (Editors) — The Polanski Uproar
Comprehensive sexual revolution in the name of comprehensive sexual education
- Lexington Herald-Leader (Valerie Honeycutt Spears) — Abstinence, birth control, intimacy? What should Lexington sex education classes teach?
One of the nation’s most influential journalists claims donations to Planned Parenthood didn’t affect her coverage of Supreme Court
- Washington Times (Bradford Richardson) — Prominent ex-NYT reporter comes out as longtime Planned Parenthood donor
How the mainstream media lost the monopoly
- Washington Post (Margaret Sullivan) — Trump’s message of mistrust is sinking in, even in journalism’s new ‘golden age’
Is the NFL taking a political turn?
- Wall Street Journal (Jason Whitlock) — Is Roger Goodell Deliberately Pushing the NFL Leftward?
- USA Today (Glenn Harlan Reynolds) — Hollywood, ESPN and other debacles: Why can't our ruling class do its job?
Why our fascination with superheroes reveals our hunger for a savior
- USA Today (Brian Truitt) — How 'Justice League' weathered supersized setbacks to assemble DC's greatest heroes
A very strange vote with a very clear outcome in Australia
- New York Times (Adam Baidawi and Damien Cave) — Australia Votes for Gay Marriage, Clearing Path to Legalization
Why moral revolutions ride on weak political leadership and opposition
- Washington Post (A. Odysseus Patrick) — Overwhelming Australian vote to endorse same-sex marriage exposes growing rift
Religious liberty becomes the leading edge of the battle in Australia and the United States
- The Conversation (Amy Maguire) — As Australians say ‘yes’ to marriage equality, the legal stoush over human rights takes centre stage
- The Spectator Australia (Jeremy Sammut) — Claims the Paterson bill will licence homophobic hate are hype
The Church of England now wants children to bear responsibility to determine who they are
- New York Times (Alan Cowell) — Tutus and Tool Belts: Church of England Urges Children to Explore Gender Identity